I find end-of-year and/or “best of” lists fascinating. They’re a great, digestible way to commemorate the year, and I love that I always learn something new. With that said, there are so (arguably, too) many out there. And they cover a massive range of topics and industries. That’s why I’ve started keeping tabs on my favorite ones! In no particular order, here are my top 10.
1. 2012 Yahoo! Year In Review sheds light on “the standout news & pop obsessions”, measured by our search habits.
2. If you’re curious about the most popular songs across all genres in 2012, then you’ll appreciate Billboard's annual list of the top 100 songs of the year (according to radio play and measured by Nielsen).
3. According to Google, we watch 4 billion hours of video (just on YouTube) a month. That’s crazy! Check out YouTube Rewind 2012 for a look at the 10 most popular videos on YouTube this year. Shocking Spoiler Alert: Psy’s Gangnam Style, which was recently named the first video in the history of YouTube to surpass a billion views, takes the top spot.
5. Thanks to Internet memes, who could forget Olympic Gold Medalist, McKayla Maroney’s “not impressed” face? WIRED pulls their favorite memes of 2012, spotlighting McKayla and others, here.
6. 2012 was a huge year for hardware. Google entered the tablet wars, Apple released new, improved versions of all their primary products, and Jawbone released Big Jambox -- my new favorite way to listen to music. For a look at the 50 best gadgets that arrived on the scene this year, check out Complex’s solid compilation here.
7. I’m always surprised by Apple’s annual list of best apps (in a variety of categories) for iPhone and iPad, and 2012 was no different. This year, Apple chose Action Movie FX as its iPhone App of the Year, while Paper is the iPad App of the Year.
8. To my knowledge, Google doesn’t release an official list of best Android apps but luckily PC Mag does! Check out what their staffers believe to be the “100 Best Android Apps of 2012” here.
9. Huffington Post pulled 81 of the most amazing photographs from around the world this year, and it may be my favorite list of all. You can check it out here. Each and every image is awe-inspiring.
10. Finally, and for the foodies, I love Bon Appetit’s list of the 10 best new restaurants of the year (in the US). It’s what motivated me to wait almost two hours to get a seat at San Francisco’s State Bird & Provisions (which takes the top spot). And it was worth it.
Can’t wait to see what’s in store for 2013!
Tags: foodies, gadgets, Music, technology, year in review